Saturday, September 22, 2007

The Weekend - Time for Sports!

Hey guys, it's early Saturday morning (1:45am) and I am psyched because my favorite baseball team won again, keeping hope alive for a playoff berth, the Philadelphia Phillies! They are still 1 and a half games behind the New York Mets.

It's Saturday in the Fall and that means college football! My hopes are that UCF (my alma mater) will win in their 2nd home game of the season, against University of Memphis, and that Georgia will lose to Alabama simply because I don't like Georgia.

it made me wonder what kind of question I could pose tonight, and this is it....

What is your favorite sports movie of all time?

Here are a few sports, and some great movies in each genre for you to consider.... (titles in bold are among my favorites)

Golf - Legend of Bagger Vance, The Greatest Game Ever Played, Tin Cup, Caddyshack.

Baseball - Major League, Bull Durham , Field of Dreams, The Natural, Eight Men Out

Football - The Longest Yard (remake), The Replacements, Unnecessary Roughness, Brian's Song, Little Giants, Wildcats, Remember the Titans, Friday Night Lights, Varsity Blues

Basketball - Hoop Dreams, Hoosiers, White Men Can't Jump, Blue Chips

Hockey/Ice Skating - Ice Princess, Cutting Edge, Mystery Alaska, Miracle, Slapshot, Blades of Glory

Boxing - Rocky, Million Dollar Baby, Raging Bull, Play it to the Bone

Other Sports - Ready to Rumble (wrestling), Visionquest (wrestling), Days of Thunder (auto racing), Talladega Nights (auto racing), The Karate Kid (karate), Airborne (rollerblading), Bend it Like Beckhan (soccer), Chariots of Fire (track)

Tell me what you like and why.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

I love Karate kid and Radio..Does that count as a sports movie?

Unknown said...

I know a lot of guys don't consider it a sports movie, but Jerry Maguire is one of my favorites. I cry almost everytime Rod's wife, Marcie, says, "My whole life is this family and it doesn't work without him!"

I guess it really is more of a chick flick than a football movie...but hey, you asked. :)

My hubby and I are actually keeping track of "picks" the whole season and in the end the winner gets a pot of money to spend on themselves ~ which is pretty rare for us with the kiddos. I'm up 3 so far! hehehe

jenn said...

I can't wait to get my hands on the Blades of Glory DVD. I also loved The Longest Yard.

Jodi said...

Brian's Song is a great movie. I really liked Ice Princess other than that none others have intrigued my interest as much.

Have a great weekend!

Jodi
My Life as Mama Jodi

Amy said...

I loved the movie Hoosiers mainly because it was filmed about twenty minutes away from where I live! Cool, huh?

KarenW said...

I LOVE Facing the Giants. I've seen it about 4 times now and cry through the whole thing. It's not really a tear jerker. It just touches me because of some of the recent giants I have faced recently. AWESOME movie!

Rebecca said...

I can't even count the number of times I've seen the Cutting Edge (the ice skating romance one?) but it's been a long time!
Another one I always really liked was Cool Runnings. And not that I've ever scene it, but did you honestly not include the Rocky series under your boxing category?

P.S. I think we may be in disagreement about Crash - my reviews up ;-0

Sallie said...

Oh, I love Rudy of course! I have a "little one" playing football with the same heart!

God bless,
Sallie

Jillie Bean (AKA Bubba's Sis) said...

Bull Durham, Field of Dreams, and Major League - best baseball movies ever.

Talladega Nights was pretty funny.

Suprina said...

I have a lot of sports movies that I watch. Sometimes, I watch them just because I like the actors that are in them.

Football:
Brians Song,and We are Marshall (2006), And The Waterboy.

Golf:
Happy Gilmore (1996) Love Adam Saddler.
Tin Cup-Rene Russo and Kevin Costner star in this and it is really good.

Baseball:
Angels in The Outfield (1994)
A League of Their Own (1992)--AWESOME MOVIE!
The Rookie(2002) This stars Dennis Quaid and he is one of my favorite actors.

Basketball:
Space Jam (1996)
White Men Can't Jump (1992) Although, I can't stand the main actor.
Teen Wolf (1995)
Forget Paris (1995)
Coach Carter (2005)

Ice Hockey:
The Mighty Ducks
Miracle (2004) starring Kurt Russell.

Others:
SeaBiscuit (2003) Horse Racing
Hidalgo (2004) also Horse Racing
8 Seconds-Rodeo (had to include this one...I am from Oklahoma)

I loved all of these movies because they all had someone in them that I enjoyed watching. And most of the time it lead me to new actors....

Unknown said...

The Longest Yard (both the original and the remake) are my favorite sports movies. When I was a teenie bopper, Burt Reynolds was my favorite actor. I thought he was soooo cute!!

retrodaddy said...

Baseball movies seem to have the best ratio of quality movies to duds. Bad News Bears, Major League, A League of Their Own, *61, Soul of the Game, Eight Men Out, For the Love of the Game, etc. My favorite is probably The Natural. I thought Bull Durham was overrated, and since I read 'Shoeless Joe' before watching Field of Dreams, I found Field to be boring.

Best football movie is Remember the Titans. Well-acted and the music is very good.

Slapshot, Hoosiers, White Men Can't Jump, and Caddyshack are all also very good.

Melanie said...

Wow so many great ones have been listed!!!

Football: Any Given Sunday, Rudy, Remember the Titans and The Replacements

Baseball: Field of Dreams, The Rookie, A League of Their Own, Angels in the Outfield, For Love of the Game, Hardball, Major League

Basketball: The Air Up There, Hoosiers, Teen Wolf, White Men Can't Jump

Boxing: all of the Rocky movies, Raging Bull

Golf: Tin Cup, Happy Gilmore

Others:
The Hustler, The Color of Money (pool - do u consider it a sport???),
Karate Kid, Ladybugs, Bend it Like Beckham, Days of Thunder, probably more I can't think of!

Patti said...

Favorite sports movie ... Wildcats! doo doo doo doo Wildcats! ;)