Thursday, August 09, 2007

Thursday Thirteen #24


Thirteen Things about Michael's Time at UCF


Taking inspiration from my wife and her legions of Union University Alumni, I give you Thirteen Things about my time at the University of Central Florida.....

1. Going to college with Heisman Trophy candidate and future NFL quarterback Daunte Culpepper.

2. Attending football games at the Florida Citrus Bowl in downtown Orlando. UCF is opening thier on-campus stadium this September, so no more 15 mile commutes to the games.

3. Fall of 1998, the opening home game of Daunte's senior year (as he decided to play rather than go into the NFL draft) against the Idaho Vandals (a large crow-like bird).

4. Writing editorials and features for both Knight Times and the Central Florida Future. I later shot photos for the CFF as well.

5. Being around in '93/' 94 when the CFF got kicked off campus. They were unofficial but had space in a trailer and they got in trouble for an editorial cartoon of President Hitt as Hitler. It had to do with rules about rollerblades, skateboards, and bikes on sidewalks in heavily pedestrian trafficked areas of the campus.

6. Many years of good times with the Wesley Foundation, the United Methodist Campus Ministry. I was there for two different leaders, both of whom were in my wedding, one as a groomsman (Rev. Steve Binkley) and the other (Rev. Anna Jackson) did a reading.

7. Two mission trips from Orlando to the Cumberland Mountains in Tennessee.

8. Two road trips from Orlando to Tallahassee for football games at FSU, one with my groomsman and UF grad Mike McNamara, and one without. The one with Mike was fun as it included staying at the Motel 6, dinner with Shelly (a mutual friend) and going to a Village People/KC and the Sunshine Band concert and clubbing Friday night. Wings, beer and football all day at Buffalos and the night time ESPN game of FSU and Clemson.

9. Graduation in 1994 with the surprise arrival of my Nana when my dad and brother flew in from Atlanta. Nana got to sit on the floor of the arena behind the students because of her wheelchair.

10. The homecoming comedy concert with one of my favorite comedians, ventriloquist Jeff Dunham.

11. Knowing my friend Melinda and getting to use her parent's theatre tickets to see Big the Musical, and State Fair.

12. Discovering the internet with help from Heidi "Boing" Ferrell, who BTW is now a friend and coworker of my brother Tim and attended his wedding.

13. Covering the news story about Jesus coming to UCF. Campus Crusade for Christ arranged for the Jesus film to be broadcast on the outdoor movie set-up at the reflecting pond in front of the library.

Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
1. (leave your link in comments, I’ll add you here!)



Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!





9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, UCF; I know it well. Great that you had such a good experience there. I can't imagine what it would be like going to school in Orlando---so MANY distractions and the beach only 40 minutes to the east...

Anonymous said...

You saw the Village People in concert? I bet they put on a great show!

Valtool said...

In my defense, the concert was the primary reason that Mike wanted to go as he is a huge 70's/disco fan, and a great asset for such questions at trivia. He loves football too, but being a UF guy, attending an FSU game without them playing UF was tough.

I was there for the football.

Anonymous said...

I love thinking about my college memories!
Thanks for sharing yours. Happy TT!

Lori said...

Sounds like a great place with wonderful memories:)

Sparky Duck said...

whats the CFF? Sounds like you found plenty of fun stuff to do in college.

Rebecca said...

Sorry but your page keeps shutting down on me - I don't think my dial up likes your videos...

Happy TT13 though :-)

Lady G~ said...

LOL! My Knight graduated from UCF back in 1988. By the time he graduated, our 1st daughter was ten month old and our second daughter was born two weeks after his graduation. Now our oldest plans on attending UCF just like her dad. Thanks for the trip down memory lane...

Books, hooks, needles, and my weightloss journey said...

I just wonted to protest your definition of the Idaho Vandals on Number 3. As a former University of Idaho student I can tell you that "Vandal" in this case is actually named after specific group of raiders that were active, I think, around the Viking Era.
That was probably back when we had a decent football team.
Thanks fro bringing back those college memories.
Tina