1. Going to college with Heisman Trophy candidate and future NFL quarterback Daunte Culpepper.
2. Attending football games at the Florida Citrus Bowl in downtown Orlando. UCF is opening thier on-campus stadium this September, so no more 15 mile commutes to the games.
3. Fall of 1998, the opening home game of Daunte's senior year (as he decided to play rather than go into the NFL draft) against the Idaho Vandals (a large crow-like bird).
4. Writing editorials and features for both Knight Times and the Central Florida Future. I later shot photos for the CFF as well.
5. Being around in '93/' 94 when the CFF got kicked off campus. They were unofficial but had space in a trailer and they got in trouble for an editorial cartoon of President Hitt as Hitler. It had to do with rules about rollerblades, skateboards, and bikes on sidewalks in heavily pedestrian trafficked areas of the campus.
6. Many years of good times with the Wesley Foundation, the United Methodist Campus Ministry. I was there for two different leaders, both of whom were in my wedding, one as a groomsman (Rev. Steve Binkley) and the other (Rev. Anna Jackson) did a reading.
7. Two mission trips from Orlando to the Cumberland Mountains in Tennessee.
8. Two road trips from Orlando to Tallahassee for football games at FSU, one with my groomsman and UF grad Mike McNamara, and one without. The one with Mike was fun as it included staying at the Motel 6, dinner with Shelly (a mutual friend) and going to a Village People/KC and the Sunshine Band concert and clubbing Friday night. Wings, beer and football all day at Buffalos and the night time ESPN game of FSU and Clemson.
9. Graduation in 1994 with the surprise arrival of my Nana when my dad and brother flew in from Atlanta. Nana got to sit on the floor of the arena behind the students because of her wheelchair.
10. The homecoming comedy concert with one of my favorite comedians, ventriloquist Jeff Dunham.
11. Knowing my friend Melinda and getting to use her parent's theatre tickets to see Big the Musical, and State Fair.
12. Discovering the internet with help from Heidi "Boing" Ferrell, who BTW is now a friend and coworker of my brother Tim and attended his wedding.
13. Covering the news story about Jesus coming to UCF. Campus Crusade for Christ arranged for the Jesus film to be broadcast on the outdoor movie set-up at the reflecting pond in front of the library.
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants