Sunday, August 12, 2007

Good sporting day

Alrighty, two of my three expected or hoped for outcomes came through today.

On ESPN Sunday Night Baseball the Phillies took down the Braves to win 2 of 3 at PNC Bank Park in Philly before a sell-out crowd. The key play was a 3-run homer by the Rhyno, Ryan Howard in the bottom of the 6th, giving the Phils a 4-2 lead. They hung on to win the game 5-3.

There were a few interesting plays, one in the 6th where Jimmy Rollins was in first and Tadahito Iguchi hits a grounder to the second, who tosses to short. The shortstop steps over the bag as Rollins slides in and is safe as he never touched the bag with his foot. The throw to first in an attempted double play is a very close one, possibly a tie and BOTH runners are safe, setting up Howard's homer. Braves coach Bobby Cox came out to argue and Amy said she saw him say "Bull___!" He did NOT get thrown out tonight.

The other noteworthy plays necessitate this memo. Attention ALL MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL PLAYERS.... Do NOT under any circumstances attempt to score from second on a ball hit to right field against the Braves. Jeff Francour WILL throw you out. You may also wish to rethink any attempts to tag from third.

Beyond that, Tiger Woods won his 13th Major tournament, and as I said earlier, Jeff Gordon managed to spin himself out and recover only dropping 8 positions, at least he wasn't stuck in the kitty litter (the gravel surrounding some of the curves at Watkins Glenn.

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

Sorry I'll be back to actually spend some time here. But for now I wanted to let you know I responded to your comment on my blog (THANK YOU) and if you want the answer to your last Q you're gonna have to email me ;-)
(I have family that's very good with finding stuff on the internet and don't want them to find me.)

Sparky Duck said...

um excellent recap. anytime jeff loses I am thrilled. But its Citizens in Philly and PNC in PITTSBURGH

Valtool said...

Thank you for the correction sir. I obviously have never been to either or I might have known this. To my credit, the are both banks, right?

I miss the days of simple names like Veterans, Candlestick, Shea, JFK, RFK, etc. before it became all about the money. Really, I enjoyed the Orlando Arena, nicknamed the O-rena to locals which became the TD Waterhouse Center, and is now the Amway Arena.