Wednesday, March 05, 2008

American Idol 8 girls

Asia'h' Epperson - Whitney Houston - I Wanna Dance With Somebody - It was okay, nothing great, nothing horrible. The judges (Randy and Paula) liked her a lot more than Simon, and I think I'm with Simon on this one. It was good enough to survive the cut.

Kady Malloy - we don't know the song or the artist, neither Amy nor I have heard it before, but Ryan said something about Queen before the commercial break. Being an unknown song, even if sung well, can be dangerous. It worked for Bo Bice, but I don't think it will carry for Kady, she is vulnerable. Paula thinks it's Kady's best performance to date. Simon says it's an improvement but she lacks personality while she's performing.

Amanda Overmeyer - Biker Nurse and female favorite of www.votefortheworst.com - Joan Jett & The Blackhearts - I Hate Myself For Loving You - good pick for herself because it lets her sing a raspy yelling song and well, that's the only manner in which she can sing. She can not leave the show soon enough. I don't care what the judges say.

Carly Smithson - I drove all Night - Roy Orbison, Cyndi Lauper - Amy says there's something about Carly she likes. I am distracted in a negative way by the arm full of tattoos. Her voice is decent, but there's also the whole thinag about her having had a record deal before and failing, so why does she deserve a shot here?

Kristy Lee Cook - Journey - Faithfully - She gave it a country edge, and changed the lyrics a bit, and it worked well. The judges liked the performance, but Simon called her forgetable.

Ramiele Malubay - Against All Odds - Phil Collins - the judges liked her a lot more than I did. For some reason Paula's first comment was about how pretty her face is and I was stuck thinking, "this is a singing contest, right?"

Brooke White - Pat Benatar - Love is a Battlefield - it's an acoustic arrangement and I like it. The odd thing is she's wearing Underdog's giant ring with the secret compartment. Randy liked it and they got off on a tangent about Paula as a choreographer. Simon applauded her originality in making the song hers because a performance of the original arrangement would not have worked for her.

Syesha Mercado - Whitney Houston - Saving All My Love For You - She nailed the song. I dont like the song. I don't like much of any Whitney Houston as you will notice she has been absent for two months on my 1980's blog www.rockingthe80s.blogspot.com. It was obvious that the judges knew they were short on time as they all said one or two word comments and moved back to Ryan.

We expect Kady Malloy will be gone, and my hope is Amanda will be the other one. My expectation is Ramiele is the next most vulnerable. I don't know what the judges love about her, but her performance tonight was pretty dry.

1 comment:

Jillie Bean (AKA Bubba's Sis) said...

I picked Kady to be gone, too - and we were right about that one! Wasn't sure about the other, but I'm OK with it being Asia'h. She was just a'ight, in my opinion. I'm just glad Kristy Lee stayed in - I thought she was great last night! And Brooke! And Carly!