1. Philadelphia saw the first Zoological garden in July 1874.
2. Philadelphia is home to the cheesesteak sandwich, water ice, soft pretzels, and TastyKakes.
3. Philadelphia was once the United States capital city.
4. The first daily newspaper was published in Philadelphia on Sept. 21, 1784.
5. Betsy Ross made the first American flag in Philadelphia.
6. Kennett Square is known as the Mushroom Capital of the World.
7. Pennsylvania is the only original colony not bordered by the Atlantic Ocean.
8. Actor Jimmy Stewart was born and raised in the town of Indiana. Each year at Christmas the downtown area is decorated in the theme of the film "It's a Wonderful Life".
9. Little League Baseball's first World Series was held in 1946 in Williamsport.
10. The Borough of Kane is known as the Black Cherry Capital of the World.
11. Philadelphia is the site of the first presidential mansion.
12. Hershey is considered the Chocolate Capital of the United States.
13. In 1909 the first baseball stadium was built in Pittsburgh.
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others' comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants