Saturday, April 14, 2007

A Crazy Day

My day began at 6:30 this morning with my alarm. I checked email and my blog responses, changed the cats' litter box and showered, shaved, left for work.

I only had a 5 hour shift today, 8am-1pm, but it was crazy. We had a deadly combination of being short-staffed and unusuakky busy. A typical Saturday morning is quiet until about 8:30 and picks up to chaotic around 9:30 when everyone rolls out of bed. We usually start with 3 or 4 people on at 6am and increase by 8am in order to start running breaks. We then add staff as the morning progresses so we are fully staffed for lunch, our busiest time.

Today we opened with 3 people, a manager and two teenagers. When I arrived at 8, that manager left to tend to some church youth soccer duties, no other employees were scheduled until 9am. Business was picking up at 9am, so I could not send anyone on break as the first two teens were running the drive-thru and the new arrival had to help me on the front counter. At 9:50 a fifth team member arrived so I had her clock in early and started running one employee at a time, so I had them all done by 11:20 or so. We managed to continue from that point without staffing issues, but we were busy!

A typical busy Saturday has us do about $2500 to $2800 in sales before 11am. Today we did $3150 while short staffed! I spoke with the owner and he authorized me to reward the staff with giftcards we have for such purposes ($10 at Walmart).

I got out at 1pm and headed off to Winston's to play poker and watch hockey. It was an excellent way to wind down and relax fromthe week. I played well, and got lucky a bit, finishing 7th in a pool of 30 players. I did not win anything, but the game itself is a reward. I watched my Atlanta Thrashers fight to win the second game of their playoff series, but alas we now have to go to New York City and try to win 4 of the next 5 games against the Rangers.

I left Winston's around 6pm and got home to a great smell as Amy had made a pot roast in the crock pot with potatos, carrots, mushrooms, onions and garlic. It was VERY good.

I am now watching some poker on TV and watching out the window as it looks like snow as the petals blow off our cherry tree in the back yard. A very strong storm system is moving through Atlanta and will make for an exciting weather night. Amy is at work and tomorrow is loosely planned.

No comments: