13 Roles I would love to have the talent and ability to perform from the theatre.
1. Jean Valjean – Les Miserables has always been my favorite musical.
2. Mark Cohen – RENT – Something about the detached attitude he has as he chronicles a year in the life of his friends has always connected with me. I like to be the observer.
3. Beast/Eric – Disney’s Beauty and the Beast – again something about connecting with the character who wants to love but is too hideous for this world.
4. Charlie Brown – You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown – I have actually played this role and I loved it. It was the first time I ever tried out for a pay, a church production as a choir fundraiser. It was a two performance run that I would have loved to have continued.
5. Old Deuteronomy – Cats – Someone’s got to be the top cat.
6. Joseph – Joseph and the Amazing Techno-color Dreamcoat. The songs are in my range, and it’s a great story.
7. Jesus – Jesus Christ Superstar
8. Judas – Jesus Christ Superstar
9. Marius – Les Miserables – the chance to sing “Empty Chairs”
10. The Engineer – Miss Saigon – okay, so I’m not Asian, but I love this character – funny lines and good songs in a poignant story.
11. Joe Gillis – Sunset Boulevard – I wish this was still touring or re-opens in NYC.
12. Roger Davis – RENT – some great songs, and a love story to boot. I love the songs in which he trades words with Mark
13. Danny Zuko – Grease – There’s not a lot of depth here, but I love the Sandy (reprise) at the beginning of the London Cast Recording, of course he was singing about Debbie Gibson, who has also appeared in Beauty and the Beast, Les Miserables, and Joseph which are on my list.
14. Honorable mention because it’s not a theatre piece – Christian from Moulin Rouge.